Sunday, February 13, 2011

An amazing experience...

I am sitting in the airport waiting for my connecting flight from Atlanta back to Denver. I have just attending the Teach for America 20th Anniversary summit. I have never seen something so powerful or been around so many ambitious, relentless teachers in one place. There were about 11,000 in attendance. Many people presented and shared their experiences in working with and for this organization. For the first time in a long time, I felt that I was part of a movement larger than myself. The theme or question that was asked of us throughout the whole conference was, "Am I doing enough?
Can I do more? How am I contributing to the cause?" There are still HUGE disparities in the quality of education poor children and children of color are receiving in this country. Washington DC and New Orleans are two areas that are current hot spots for educational reform. The spotlight is on them right now. As a I return home in preparation for CSAP, I realize education is larger than a standardized test. This is a life or death profession. When more black and Latino males enter prison each year than a college or university, I definitely need to ask myself, 'Am I doing enough'?

Here is a article by Education Week, an online journal to which I subscribe. Enjoy!

(This is a small journaling activity I did as a reflection of my experience in DC.)

http://www.edweek.org/tm/articles/2011/02/14/revolution.html?r=933893543

Also, check out John Legend signing with a fellow KIPP school in Harlem! I recorded it from my cell phone...I was really far away :(

No comments:

Post a Comment