Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A legend dies...

So I'm sitting in staff meeting today, and I hear that a teaching legend, Harriet Ball, died. I'm upset because she is the reason why I am able to teach at a KIPP school today. She mentored the founders of our organization, and that is why we have the model of excellence for schools that we do. Although I am a reading teacher, I really identify with Ms. Ball because she was an African American teacher who was making a significant impact on kids of color. She lived by the philosophy that all kids can learn, given the right encouragement combined with excellent teaching. I have attached a video of her teaching. This is kind of a therapeutic post today, but I wanted to acknowledge her excellence on my blog. Hope you see what I see: an excellent teacher who will truly be missed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/04/harriett-ball-texas-teach_n_748446.html

No comments:

Post a Comment