Thursday, February 24, 2011

A writing strategy...POWER WRITING...in 100 words or less. How ironic for the strategy...

I had to research a strategy this week and summarize it in 100 words! Talk about stepping it up! I had to pretend that I was presenting at a conference and introducing a key note speaker. I also posted responses to my thoughts in the comments section in my blog.

Here were my thoughts...

Welcome!

Momentarily, you will hear our speaker talk about the 6+1 writing traits. Before you learn more about this topic, I want to share a writing strategy with you that improves writing fluency. Power Writing can be used with individuals, or in a whole group/small group setting.


Power writing is a:



· Brief, timed task that develops excellent writers.

· method to get students to write immediately, accurately, and as much as possible.

· way to increase metacognitive awareness and chart student growth.



By using this process, students can see their improvements in writing everyday!



Thanks you and enjoy!



References:



Fisher, D. & Frey, N. (2007). Scaffolded writing instruction: Teaching with a gradual-release framework. New York, NY: Scholastic




Fisher, D. & Frey, N. (2003). Writing instruction for struggling adolescent readers: A gradual release model because new accountability systems focus on writing, struggling students need daily, coordinated instruction that is meaningful. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy ,46. Retrieved from http://www.questia.com /googleScholar.qst?docId=5000635371





Power Writing. (2008). Public presentation February 24, 2011. www.aea267.k12.ia.us/.../Power%20Writing%20Webinar/3.%20Rationale%20and%20Definitions.pdf

3 comments:

  1. Hi Quinn,

    I have a friend whose son is struggling in his writing class (1st grade) and refusing to write when his teacher has the class do an excercise similar to this. The teacher called his mom and she spoke with her son. The final outcome was a tearful confession that he just didn't know what to write, even though some of his previous writing activities are excellent. Did the research you looked up re: power writing emphasize ways to encourage students writing when they are being timed? Just wondering:)!

    Thanks,

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar to Erin's comment, I've been observing in a first grade class and see many of the students struggling when they need to write as much as possible in a certain amount of time. Do you think power writing is more effective at the older grade levels or can be used effectively with the younger grades too?

    Melissa W

    ReplyDelete
  3. My responses were as follows:


    Hi Erin,

    I didn't research that problem directly, but I did come see some things that would be helpful in encouraging students to write. I have copied some suggestions in response to an early question about my strategy. I said:


    I think this is a strategy that can be incorporated for younger kids, just like Writer's Workshop. This gives students a chance to produce authentic work, just with a time limit attached. I think kids can rise to the challenge through a scaffolded approach. Perhaps students have to continuously write for only one minute, then the time can gradually increase. Kids can be provided with sentence starters or a certain amount of think time prior to writing. ELL students can receive a word bank to help them with vocabulary struggles. Make it a competition and train them to push themselves each time with one or two more words. Maybe track progress publicly with a sticker chart. I think the idea of Power Writing is gradual increase combined with practice and encouragement.



    So I guess to answer the question, kids just need practice, encouragement, and maybe time to brainstorm topic about which they like to write. More authentic writing time and less formulaic strategy to help students who are reluctant writers.

    ReplyDelete